Margarito files for reinstatement

source: Dennis Principe | mb.com.ph

In his first step to get clearance to fight in the state of Nevada, former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito has formally applied for reinstatement of his boxing license in California.

The Tijuana, Mexico-native Margarito is on indefinite suspension since the California commission discovered cement-like specks of powder in his hand-wraps just before he defends his world welterweight title against Shane Mosley at the Staples Center last year.

American promoter Bob Arum said they have already asked the California State Athletic Commission to expedite a hearing before the scheduled September 20 meeting in Los Angeles.

Margarito has been chosen by Arum to fight Filipino sensation Manny Pacquiao on November 13 when American Floyd Mayweather, Jr. declined to fight the current Sarangani congressman claiming that there was no “negotiations” about the fight.

All our efforts are now towards finalizing this deal with Margarito. We’ve moved on with talks about a Mayweather fight because he doesn’t seem to care about a clamor to make that fight,” said Pacquiao lawyer Franklin Gacal in a telephone conversation.

This month Margarito tried to apply for a license directly in Nevada after Arum named Las Vegas as a possible site of Pacquiao’s next fight.

But in a 4-1 vote the Nevada Commission ordered Margarito to return to California and seek a reinstatement there before they grant the Mexican a Las Vegas license.

Arum said should Margarito fail to get clearance in the United States, the fight with Pacquiao may be held in Monterrey, Mexico.

READ MORE...






Download POWCAST toolbar

Want to Earn Extra Cash

Increase traffic to your site now!

Traffic G

Link Referral

Link Reviewer