FIBA Asia Cup in Japan next for Smart Gilas
A day after the Philippines won the 2012, 34th Jones Cup championship, Filipino's still can get enough of the Philippine National Basketball team in fact the nation is looking forward to another outstanding performance from the Chot Reyes coached Smart Gilas. The Tokyo 2012 FIBA Asia Cup is around the corner in fact it is just a less than a month before this tournament begins. September 14th is the tip off day and while Jones Cup is merely an exhibition or training for the Philippine squad, the FIBA Asia cup in Tokyo is a qualifying event for the FIBA world cup event that will be held in Spain, something that Filipino Basketball fans and players rarely get watch and compete. With the recent win of the Smart Gilas Filipino's have more reason to hope for a good finish if not a win against the best of Asia. Here are some details of the upcoming 2102 Tokyo FIBA Asia Cup.
Watch the best prepare to be the best!
Winner automatically qualifies for 2013 FIBA Asia Championship
· The 4th FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup is the qualifying event for the 27th FIBA Asia Championship in 2013, which in turn will be the qualifying event for 2014 FIBA World Cup to be held in Spain.
· The winners of the 4th FIBA Asia Cup will automatically qualify for the 27th FIBA Asia Championship in 2013.
· The top four teams at the 4th FIBA Asia Cup will earn additional berths for their respective FIBA Asia sub zones.
· This is the first time Japan will host the FIBA Asia Cup.
· A FIBA Asia event for men returns to Japan after a gap of five years – the 24th FIBA Asia Championship at Tokushima in 2007 being the previous occasions.
· Japan, however, hosted the 24th FIBA Asia Championship for Women at Omura last year.
· Japan has also hosted the FIBA Asia Championship on four other earlier occasions – Tokyo 1971, Nagoya 1979, Kobe 1991 and Fukuoka 1999 being them.
· The 4th FIBA Asia Cup will witness the maiden appearance of 15 times FIBA Asia champions China in this competition. China are the reigning FIBA Asia champions having won the gold at the 26th FIBA Asia Championship at Wuhan last year.
· GCC powerhouse Qatar are the only team to have appeared in all the previous editions of this event – then known as FIBA Asia Stankovic Cup. Qatar were also the champions in its inaugural edition in 2004 at Chinese Taipei.
2012 FIBA Asia Cup Details
4th FIBA Asia Cup
Sept 14 – 22, 2012
Ota City General Gymnasium
1-11-1, Higashi Kamata,
Ota-ku, Tokyom 144-0031
LOC 4th FIBA Asia Cup under the aegis
of Japan Basketball Association
· East Asia: China, Ch. Taipei, Japan, Macau
· S.East Asia: Philippines.
· South Asia: India
· Central Asia: Uzbekistan.
· Gulf: Qatar
· West Asia: Iran, Lebanon.
Groupings for Preliminary Round
· China (CHN)
· Lebanon (LIB)
· Macau (MAC)
· Philippines (PHI)
· Uzbekistan (UZB)
· Ch. Taipei (TPE)
· Iran (IRI)
· Japan (JPN)
· Qatar (QAT)
· India (IND)
System of Competition
· The 10 teams are drawn into two Groups of five each for the Preliminary Round.
· Each team will play all the others in their respective Groups.
· The top four from each Group will advance to the Quarterfinal play-offs.