|Manila Classico Semi-finals|
Tonight is the night, Ginebra and Star Hotshots will again collide. What would be an epic Manila Clasico Semi finals series will start tonight. Two of the most popular teams in the PBA settle who the better team will be in the 2017 Philippine Cup.
The battle has been set and the stage has been cleared, tonight is the start of the best of 7 series between Barangay Ginebra and Star Hotshots. Who will advance to the Finals?
1. Barangay Ginebra and Star Hotshots formerly Purefoods first met on April 5, 1988, at the Philsports Arena formerly Ultra.
2. They came face to face with each other a total of 173 times
3. The Star Hotshots still has an edge over Ginebra winning 94 games over 79 (.543)
4. The longest winning streak was 8 by Star Hotshots (April 20, 1993–February 28, 1995)
5. Current winning streak however is Ginebra at 4.
6. Ginebra-Purefoods rivalry in the Philippine basketball is equivalent to the El Clásico football rivalry between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona and sports editor Jaemark Tordecilla was credited for branding it.
7. 24 of the 40 Greatest Players in PBA History, at some point of their careers, played for either the Ginebra or the Purefoods franchise.
9. Barangay Ginebra Current Coach Tim Cone coached for both teams.
10. The first encounter between the two ballclubs at the Mall of Asia Arena on January 5, 2014 attained the record of most spectators in a PBA game played at the said arena with 20,596.
Here is the last Manila Clasico Game that Powcast covered (August 28, 2016). I will be there tonight! See you all!